Sunday 17 March 2024

The force of spring

Little Powerhouses


Even though it is still very cold, even frosty some mornings, green shoots are pushing through the soil. Nothing is stopping the little green powerhouses coming out of the soil. Spring is the time when all the herbs emerge again and while they are still small and young, they are packed with nutrients. So go out into the woods and garden and collect them for your smoothies and salads. 


But there is a warning here: Please only collect when you know with certainty what you are collecting.  Collecting in the woods might be a bit iffy as well because it might be contaminated with parasites, so cook and boil anything you collected in the woods before you eat it. Washing might not be enough. 


I usually collect my herbs in my garden and I'm always amazed by what I find. Not only that I discover nettles in the most unusual places, I also discover that I have more edible herbs than I would have thought.  


Recently I learned about the golden nettle which is plentiful in the garden and I was pulling it up to keep it under control. Now I'm putting it in my salad. That will sort it out. I already have enough leaves and herbs for a lunch so that I do not need to buy anything anymore. And now they are nice and tender and ever so delicious. 


I'm always surprised that so many Homoeopathic remedies are made from herbs. But the remedy has sometimes different properties to the fresh or dried herb, and of course, the remedy is subtler in action. 


Take dandelion for example. As a Homoeopathic remedy it is called Taraxacum officinale and has a strong affinity for the kidneys and the liver like the herb. But in Homoeopathy it is also used when there is irritability and impatience when indicated. This is the same with Urtica urens, the Homoeopathic remedy made out of the stinging nettle. This remedy has also an affinity for the kidneys and increases the milk flow of lactating women like the herb but is also used for stings and skin conditions where indicated. These are only small examples of Homoeopathic remedies made from herbs and they are not suitable for self prescribing.  Please remember that Homoeopathy is a very individual medicine and that we treat the person and not the disease. So if you are interested in treatment give me a ring on 07813 195468 and book an appointment. Looking forward to hear from you.




 

No comments: