Sunday 5 May 2024

The change of seasons

 The Trees Are Green Again




It is May again and it seems to get warmer as well. I know that we all crave the arrival of spring and more sunshine after the winter, no matter how warm the winter was. Even though it seems that it took forever for the warmth to arrive this year I do not think that it was unusual. I can remember times when I was young when I rushed into the first sunshine in my new spring dress and bare legged only to find the wind freezing. This sent me rushing back into the house to put on some tights and a jumper. 

One thing that would always make me happy at the arrival of the new season was the strawberries, asparagus and that the rhubarb would grow again. There were not a lot of strawberries and asparagus in our house with 6 children to feed but we had lots of rhubarb, mostly made into a crumble cake which was even better.

Asparagus and strawberries were more the food we had on special occasions like my mothers birthday which was at the end of May. Days before we would start baking the sponge base for the strawberry cake and asparagus would be bought on the market together with eggs and mushrooms for the very special salad that my mother would make. 

Birthdays were always a feast in my childhood home. Lunch would be a minor event on a day like that, and nobody was really interested. We were all after the cream cakes, the sponges with fruit and extra cream and the hot chocolates with cream on top. Dinner was only a short while away and we really didn't do much in between apart from sitting on the patio and talking. For dinner my mother would not only have made her special salad but also savory bakes filled with spices, vegetables and mince. No wonder I didn't feel very well that night and the day after. But it was not only my mothers birthday when I overindulged. 

I can remember being sick on my own birthday as well because I had so many goodies. I wish I would have known about Homoeopathy there and then because Nux-vomica could have put an end to that. Well, you live and learn. Now I do have Homoeopathy. If you would like to have Homoeopathy in your life as well, not only to be able to enjoy the fruits of the season, give me a call on 07813 195468. 





No comments: