Sunday 9 June 2024

Petrosilius

Parsley Magic


I was quite surprised to hear that parsley was the poisonous plant of the year last year in Germany. REALLY? I grow it in the garden and I have it in my salad, soups and on my potatoes. I'm very sensitive to poison.....no really. 


I know everybody is really sensitive to poison, but I'm especially sensitive. I can remember cutting a Thuja hedge at my work experience place and then having my sandwich for lunch. The same evening I was vomiting like mad and had a splitting headache. So that was the end of my work experience. My mother couldn't eat moldy bread even when it was not quite showing the mold. She would suffer horrible vomiting and diarrhea. So yes, everybody is sensitive to poison but I would never attempt to eat something slightly poisonous and I never suffered any malady after eating parsley.

 

Well, parsley is biannual, as you might know. In the first year of its' life it is the healthy kitchen herb, containing a lot of vitamin A and being really good for you. It is in its second year of life that you must be careful, namely when it is flowering. Then it becomes poisonous and you should stop eating it. Well, you live and learn and I had to learn, but I'm still going to grow it. The problem is that it is not always willing to grow and it needs a long time to germinate. This year I was out of luck and so I will not have any to use, unfortunately. 


Parsley had not only a career as a kitchen herb, but like many other herbs, it was also used for healing for centuries. It is said to have an affinity for the urinary tract and that is also the way it is used in Homoeopathy where indicated. Did you know?





No comments: