Sunday 29 September 2024

Little beacons in the mist

 Hip-Hip Hooray


I like autumn because I love seeing all the fruit in the trees when I walk or drive through the countryside or even towns. Autumn is the time of ripening fruit and plenty. One thing that was already beginning to ripen in summer were the rosehips. They are little red beacons not only in the mist but shine with the sun even in August. Well, mine are. Many years ago I collected some rosehips of a dog rose on a car park up north and sowed them at home. 


It took some time till they germinated but in the end I could plant my first roses in the front garden. They grew well but the funny thing is that not all of them had purple flowers even though the rosehips I picked were from a purple flowering bush. Some bloomed white and they were not not filled, again the "mother" bush was filled, they just produced an unfilled rose. The bees and bumblebees love that a lot better and tend to bathe in them. It is so lovely to watch. But the bushes are not only beautiful plants with lovely smelling roses the insects like, they also produce wonderful, lush rosehips. From August on I can harvest them and make tea and jam out of them. I must say, even though I do like the jam, it is more hard work then just to make an infusion.


Apparently you can make an infusion of every rosehip but my big, fat ones make it a lot easier. I just cut the fluffy top off and halve them. Then they go into a little pot with a lot of water and I boil them up and put them through a sieve. It is the most delicious drink you can imagine and it is healthy as well. Try it. 


I do not harvest all my rosehips because they are a food source for birds in winter as well and I like to think of my feathered friends as well.


As you might have guessed, rosehips are not only a valuable food source for men and animals when the weather is bleak and the land doesn't yield much food anymore. Rosehips are used in a Homoeopathic Remedy as well. I certainly have it in my medical chest. Its main action in on the bladder and the kidneys and the keynote is on improvement of the flow of urine. 


But please no self medication, Homoeopathy is a very individual medicine where you need to know what you are doing. It can only work if you have the right remedy and I have been trained for 5 years to do that for you. So call me on 07813 195468 to book an appointment instead. Looking forward to hear from you. 




No comments: